Capital Improvement Projects
Scoville Park Renovation Project
Scoville Park Grand Re-Opening
Join us on June 1 at 10 am to celebrate Scoville Park's grand re-opening! See the new park amenities including the new Peace Plaze surrounding the World War I Monument, the new playground, tennis courts and entrances. Following the formal ribbon cutting ceremony on the new stage area, you can enjoy light refreshments and a comedy and illusion show by The Great Scott. This event will be fun for the whole family!
See more info.
$1.6 million Grant Allows for Complete Park Renovation
Beginning July 18, 2012 the north end of Scoville Park from the Peace Triumphant Monument to Ontario Street and from the Oak Park Public Library to Oak Park Avenue was closed to mark the start of the Scoville Park Renovation Project. The entire Park was closed beginning August 13, 2012.
The Park District of Oak Park was awarded an Illinois Department of Natural
Resources Park and Recreational Facility Construction Grant in the amount of $1.6
million for the renovation of Scoville Park. Often referred to as the “Village Green,” this
grant will allow the Park District to renovate the entire four acres of park property. Completing all phases of the park master plan at one time will be a tremendous benefit to our residents and will breathe new life into the District’s oldest park which will turns 100 years old in 2012.The PARC Grant will fund 75% of the Scoville Park project with the remaining $551,000 (25%) allocated as part of the District’s capital improvement budget.
Improvements to Scoville Park were identified through a public site master planning
process which included four public meetings, six focus groups, and three online
questionnaires. The park master plan was accepted by the Park Board in August 2010.
Park improvements identified in the park master plan include the creation of a Peace Plaza encircling the World War I Peace Triumphant Monument, a permanent stage platform in the park’s southern end, new entrances in all four corners of the park with an emphasis on a renewed main entrance at Oak Park Avenue and Lake Street, new lighted tennis courts, and a new playground with accessible surfacing. Additionally, historic signage will be located at park entries, restrooms will be updated and new LED walkway lights will be installed. During an assessment of the trees for this project, 14 trees have been identified for removal due to disease or redevelopment. Over 70 new trees will be planted in the park during the renovation project including new shade trees and ornamentals. Fifteen trees will also be relocated. Over the next few years the Park District plans to plant heritage oak trees in Scoville Park.
PARC Grants are made possible through funding by the Illinois Jobs Now! Program.
Administered by the IL Department of Natural Resources, these funds are available to
eligible local governments for park and recreation construction projects. “Investing in
Illinois communities now is essential to growing our economy for years to come,”
Governor Pat Quinn said. “The PARC Program will help communities all over the state
proceed on local initiatives that will boost local economic development and help improve
the quality of life of all Illinois residents.”
The Park District recognizes the significant efforts of 78th District State Representative
Camille Lilly who mentored the progress of this grant in Springfield. The Park District’s
gratitude is also extended to Senator Don Harmon for his continued support of Park
District projects and programs. Senator Harmon spoke at the November 2009 rededication
of the Peace Triumphant Monument which stands as the centerpiece of
Scoville Park. The construction of the new plaza, made possible through these grant
funds, will provide park visitors a place to sit and reflect and appreciate this bronze
memorial which pays tribute to those from Oak Park and River Forest who served in
World War I.
The Scoville Park Renovation Project is expected to be completed in June 2013. For more information about this project please contact Project Manager Neil Adams.